pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] ...more que$tion$

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] ...more que$tion$
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 00:42:51 -0700

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

hello again plantdbbbbeauties,

so I'm communicating with a woman who has quite a bit of (successful!) grantwriting experience, and she asked me some important questions. I tried answering them myself, but would like to hear ideas from you. One foundation is interested in hearing from us, and would like an initial proposal SOON (just a statement of purpose and estimated budget, not the design specifics). (If you'd rather not be involved with the grantwriting aspect of this project - no worries. But feedback is always helpful, and I definitely cannot answer these questions alone.) Following are the questions, and I wrote my responses below, :p:l:e:a:s:e: add any of your own.

1. Generate a list of keywords associated with the project (so we can search for appropriate foundations).

The Landscaper's Art - The Horticulturist's Skills - The Farmer's Perseverance and Love of the Earth,Virtual Farmer's Market,Naturally Grown,Ecologically Grown,Sustainably Grown,Ecologically Grown,Biointensively Grown,Biogically Grown,Biological Agriculture,Biointensive Agriculture,Regenerative Agriculture,sustainably grown,ecologically grown,biointensively grown,fertile crescent,fertile crescent concept,food circles,foodsheds,food sheds,local,local organic market farmer,local organic market gardener,market farmer,market gardener,support your local organic market farmer,support your local organic market gardener,aquaculture,beekeeping,biocontrol,biodynamics,bioremediation,botany,calendars of events,certification,communications,community ecological gardening,naturalized plantings,native gardens,natural ecosystems,nature gardening,nature farming.Nature Farming,companion planting,composting,cover crops,crops,agronomy,special crops,csa,community supported agriculture,subscription agriculture,prescription agriculture,precision farming,precision agriculture,Sustainable Farming Connection,ecolandtech.homesteading,farmsteading,farmscaping,discussion groups,mailing lists,newsgroups,discussion forums,soil amendments,remineralization,remineralize the Earth,fertilizers,fertilizer,rock dusts,rock powders,rock meal,ecology,agroecology,education,employment,internships,apprenticeships,entomology,environment,frequently asked questions lists,frequently asked questions,faqs,FAQ,FAQS,farm coops,cooperatives,marketing cooperative,farm cooperative,marketing coops,farmers markets,fruit,gardening,greenhouse,greenhousing,health issues,health,safety,welfare,horticulture,regenerative agriculture,biological agriculture,organic agriculture,alternative agriculture,organic gardening,permanent agriculture,natural agriculture,hydroponics,ipm,IPM,integrated pest management,biological pest control,biocontrol,issues,events,calendars,news,landscaping,farmscaping,literature,livestock,mail order,market gardening,market farming,biointensive agriculture,CSA,marketing,microfarming,mycology,net resources,Internet resources,Web resources,Weblinks,links,URLS,nitrogen fixation,nuts,organizations,permaculture,preservation,seedstock preservation,heirloom varieties,heirloom seeds,seed preservation,seed preserving,seed saving,remineralization,software,soil science,soil quality,soil ecology,agroecology,agroforestry,magazines,books,journals,newsletters,subscription farming,prescription farming,suppliers,symbiosis,tools,tool making,hand tools,tool dealers,labor intensive agriculture,dryland agriculture,vermiculture,worm farming,weather,bats,birds,butterflies,bees,insects,frogs,spiders,ponds,water impoundment,water quality,aquaponics,hydroponics,aquaculture,ponds,pools,water impoundment,streams,wildlife,rural life,rural skills,herbalism,medicinal herbs,herbal medicine,soil quality,herbal references,herbs,culinary herbs,herb growing,companion planting,growing for profit,interplanting,succession planting,ecology,veganism,vegetarian,vegan,vegetarianism,recipes,intentional communities,community gardening,community,sustainable development,sustainable communities,organic certification,certification,organic standards,ecosystems,rec.gardens.ecosystems,garden ecosystems,eco-community,intentional community,eco-village,eco-villages,eco-communities,commune,communes,intentional communities,sustainable communities,sustainable community,community gardening

and many more

2. What is an estimate of the actual number of pemaculture practitioners
there are? (I know this is somewhat impossible to answer, but significant when applying for funding.)

50000 in the US, 20000000 worldwide (many practicing PC may call it
something else,
if anything)

3. How will Permaculturists benefit from this project, or encourage new members?

Their collective knowledge will be pooled in one interactive, co-evolving
location for
roundtheclock, permanent access - all resources therein could be made cross
platform
compatible and portable within different media formats, i.e. sound files,
video, text data, DB,
still photos and any form of man-made or computer-generated graphical art

4. Besides Permaculturalists, who will benefit from this project and how?

Everyone else who are essentially potential permaculture practitioners, hands
on or armchair.

5. Given that most people do not have the interest, or the space to
grow their own food, what can be done to make large scale organic farming
more sustainable, and how will your program contribute to that effort?

Spread knowledge of permaculture methods and practices and how they affect
and can enhance Man's coexistence with
his surrounding environment and his fellow man - sustainable farming
practices then will be adopted on a broad scale
as this happens.

A few answers:

1. Keywords:
∑ Permaculture
∑ Sustainability (or environmental sustainability)
∑ Self-reliance
∑ Local ∑ Community/community building
∑ Sustainable agriculture
∑ Food
o Food security
o food safety
∑ Virtual communities/telecommunications/networking
∑ Education
o Interactive education
o Environmental education
∑ Collaboration
∑ Research
∑ Knowledge base
∑ Gardening
∑ Preservation
∑ Sustenance
∑ Conservation

2. ??

3. Benefits to Permies:
∑ advancement of field ∑ cross-pollination of knowledge
∑ a way to offer information
∑ a way to access information
∑ tighten network

It will encourage new members by making information more accessible, in a more applicable form.
4. Will Benefit Individuals seeking to incorporate sustainable practices into their lives
∑ Practical methodology for doing so (customizable guild design tool)
∑ Contacts with advanced Permaculturists
∑ Resources/references

*This is a tough one, because presumably this will benefit only people who have internet access, and are already interested in Permaculture (this project will not necessarily promote large-scale Permaculture or encourage institutionalized agriculture to become more sustainable. We could say that it will help the world’s hungry/poor by equipping others with the ability to help them help themselves? What do you think?
5. Also a tough one- becuase perhaps Permaculture has no intention of being applied on a large-scale (yes in terms of widespread practice, but not necessarily in terms of large-scale agriculture)? How to respond? Is the vision of Permaculture consistent with this question-- or does Pc seek to be practiced by few on a large-scale, or by many on a small-
scale? Or are both compatible- the former as large scale organic agriculture and the latter as Pc? hmmm...

would Love to hear back asap.

thank you,
*Stephanie

ps. I said I would be MIA for a bit...but I just can't help it, this project is so exciting!

415.871.5683