pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] ...more que$tion$

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] ...more que$tion$
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:32:53 -0700

hello again plantdbbbbeauties,

so I'm communicating with a woman who has quite a bit of (successful!)
grantwriting experience, and she asked me some important questions. I
tried answering them myself, but would like to hear ideas from you. One
foundation is interested in hearing from us, and would like an initial
proposal SOON (just a statement of purpose and estimated budget, not the
design specifics). (If you'd rather not be involved with the
grantwriting aspect of this project - no worries. But feedback is always
helpful, and I definitely cannot answer these questions alone.)
Following are the questions, and I wrote my responses below,
:p:l:e:a:s:e: add any of your own.

1. Generate a list of keywords associated with the project (so we can
search for appropriate foundations).

2. What is an estimate of the actual number of pemaculture practitioners
there are? (I know this is somewhat impossible to answer, but significant
when applying for funding.)

3. How will Permaculturists benefit from this project, or encourage new
members?

4. Besides Permaculturalists, who will benefit from this project and
how?

5. Given that most people do not have the interest, or the space to
grow their own food, what can be done to make large scale organic farming
more sustainable, and how will your program contribute to that effort?

A few answers:

1. Keywords:
∑ Permaculture
∑ Sustainability (or environmental sustainability)
∑ Self-reliance
∑ Local
∑ Community/community building
∑ Sustainable agriculture
∑ Food
o Food security
o food safety
∑ Virtual communities/telecommunications/networking
∑ Education
o Interactive education
o Environmental education
∑ Collaboration
∑ Research
∑ Knowledge base
∑ Gardening
∑ Preservation
∑ Sustenance
∑ Conservation

2. ??

3. Benefits to Permies:
∑ advancement of field
∑ cross-pollination of knowledge
∑ a way to offer information
∑ a way to access information
∑ tighten network

It will encourage new members by making information more accessible, in a
more applicable form.

4. Will Benefit Individuals seeking to incorporate sustainable practices
into their lives
∑ Practical methodology for doing so (customizable guild design tool)
∑ Contacts with advanced Permaculturists
∑ Resources/references

*This is a tough one, because presumably this will benefit only people
who have internet access, and are already interested in Permaculture
(this project will not necessarily promote large-scale Permaculture or
encourage institutionalized agriculture to become more sustainable. We
could say that it will help the world’s hungry/poor by equipping others
with the ability to help them help themselves? What do you think?

5. Also a tough one- becuase perhaps Permaculture has no intention of
being applied on a large-scale (yes in terms of widespread practice, but
not necessarily in terms of large-scale agriculture)? How to respond?
Is the vision of Permaculture consistent with this question-- or does Pc
seek to be practiced by few on a large-scale, or by many on a small-
scale? Or are both compatible- the former as large scale organic
agriculture and the latter as Pc? hmmm...

would Love to hear back asap.

thank you,
*Stephanie

ps. I said I would be MIA for a bit...but I just can't help it, this
project is so exciting!

415.871.5683