pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Touch Graph Plant Family Tree

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Touch Graph Plant Family Tree
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:22:52 +0100

John Howe wrote:
There seem to be a couple alternates to TouchGraph that may be kinder to
the web client ( with limited bandwidth, was that jar file 2.6M? ) and
make caching of information easier to proxies/upstream mirrors. It may be
programatically more complex however to implement.

Specifically:

1. http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/

AT&T's graphviz, accessable via PHP Pear libraries ( PHP
Pear::Image_GraphViz ), requires netpbm as well.

Seems to create static graphs, rather than dynamic one.
Some reference to DynaDag which I could not find a website for.

2. http://webesquema.tucajon.com/

Sort of a tree/class browser ( habla espanol? )

I can see that this could be nice for examining the individual
info on a plant. You could click on a section to expand that info
about the plant.

Some example php/js/graphviz projects as reference:

http://pathalizer.bzzt.net/
http://erw.dsi.unimi.it/
http://urlgreyhot.com/graphviz/

Could you see if
http://www.touchgraph.com/TGGraphLayout_jre11.html
works for you. This uses the older jre java gui package, which
is much more stable.

An alternate delivery mechanism could be using GraphViz and dhtml
mouse-over boxes to image maps ( example @
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/, mouse over items in "Download
von" list ) to the java app in terms of bandwidth/cross-platform broswer
portability.

Its a very nice interface for popups, all done in a few dozen
lines of javascript and uses dhtml.
Might not work in older browersers (pre version 4).
I might just pince their code.

There might be latency problems, i.e. time it takes to load a new
graph when a user click on a node.

I am still researching this project, trying to become more familiar with
the existing upstream projects/standards and tracking biological
taxonomies in general. Some sites I have been looking at:

http://faculty.washington.edu/mandoli/fuzzyfig.html

Yes fuzziness might be important for guilds. We do seem to
be generating a rather fuzzy description for what a guild is.
No idea as to how the fuzziness could be built in.
For our needs of a plant taxomony then I'm not sure if
fuzziness plays an important role, we are really focussing
on the plants rather than the taxomony.

http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/treeview.html
http://tolweb.org/tree/home.pages/techiedetails.html

Tree of Life is an important project. But seems to have poor
coverage of flowering plants.
Seems like there moving to a xml format and integration.
I like the idea of a mapping layer where objects (eg a picture)
could be attached to multiple nodes. And building
nodes from multiple object. No detailed spec as yet,
but watch with interest.

Time for bed. More later!

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719