pcdb - Re: [pcdb] Links from the PIW wiki

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] Links from the PIW wiki
  • Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 02:58:25 -0400

Bear Kaufmann wrote:

I've uploaded some links I had collected and placed on the now defunct PIW/pcplantdb wiki:
http://pcdb.pbwiki.com/piwResources

Where did that domain come from? Who owns it?
I thought the pcplantdb wiki was on ibiblio at www.permaculture.info.
What happened to that?

Oh, with that, I'd like to cast my vote in for moving the two projects together. The goals are very similar and the other project has been inactive for a while.

I am completely opposed to that happening. If anyone in that (Chad's) project
wants to join this list and help in development efforts that should be fine.
They know this list and this new project exists; so far you alone have shown
interest.
The very thought of certain folk(s) diddling things into a time and money
wasting boondoggle
like they did before plus the crude attempt to usurp the pc list makes me
cringe.

As I said, if they want to find us, they know where we are. Without any
visible sign of
interest on their part making available to them what we have done so far plus
prospects
for the future, risking the project becoming mired in the mud and inactive as
before, is ludicrous.

I wrote earlier:

1) Are we going to embark on a new project?
Or
2) Are we or is anyone, going to:
a) Integrate Chad's work into our new project?
b) Finish the work Chad started as he envisioned it?

And as I have said a hundred times, our project needs to involve the Permaculture community-at-large, especially those people in the various permaculture forums. People need to feel that it is _their_ project and that their participation and input is desired and valued. This was rarely, if ever, done in the previous project and is probably why it ground to a halt, unfinished. If this is an open source permaculture information system, free to all, people will be interested in what happens to it. ibiblio is the obvious and most useful hosting site for us and its free. Funding can be raised through solicitation of direct donations and through Paypal.

Of course anyone can develop a commercial pc database but I expect they'll be on their own and will find it difficult to find unpaid volunteers, unlike this project.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm