pcdb - Re: [pcdb] Links from the PIW wiki

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] Links from the PIW wiki
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 23:02:12 +1000

On Wednesday 04 April 2007 4:58 pm, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> > http://pcdb.pbwiki.com/piwResources
>
> Where did that domain come from? Who owns it?

contact-hdl: CCOM-75972
person: David Weekly
organization: Coceve, Inc.
email: david@weekly.org

> I am completely opposed to that happening. If anyone in that (Chad's)
> project wants to join this list and help in development efforts that should
> be fine. They know this list and this new project exists; so far you alone
> have shown interest. The very thought of certain folk(s) diddling things
> into a time and money wasting boondoggle like they did before plus the

I feel there's some political / historical baggage that I'm unaware
of here, but probably need to be. Please share.

I'm opposed to the idea of creating two parallel databases where one
is an obvious (to me) subset of the other.

As hinted above, I feel there's some background information here
that may provide some good contextual basis to this discussion.

> And as I have said a hundred times, our project needs to involve the
> Permaculture community-at-large, especially those people in the various
> permaculture forums. People need to feel that it is _their_ project and

I'm not sure that this is enough. Most people on any forum, incl.
the Pc ones don't 'get' IT to the point that they could grok this
project, or (presumably) contribute to it in a meaningful way. We're
talking about doing data cleansing on the way in .. in ways that
people who can't work out how to unsubscribe from a mailing list
or properly compose an email probably can't help us with.

This may be perceived as a churlish comment - but really, I'm looking
for quality over quantity (wrt the data that I want in a database that
I'm going to put energy and effort into, and try to pull meaningful
information out of). Just having buy-in from lots of people who don't
really understand what we/I am trying to do won't sustain it or me.

Jedd.