pcdb - Re: [pcdb] Links from the PIW wiki

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] Links from the PIW wiki
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 11:33:12 -0700

On Apr 4, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

... But having two projects
working side by side to the same goal or not benefiting from what's
come before, does seem wasteful.

_That_ completely reflects my thoughts about one project evolving out of two.

I wrote earlier:

1) Are we going to embark on a new project?

That is what's happening. With good input from a number of people.

Excellent.

...People need to feel that
it is _their_ project and that their participation
and input is desired and valued. This was rarely, if ever, done in
the previous project and is probably why it ground to
a halt, unfinished.

Agreed. Though accouncements of the development work  going on were
occasionally made to the PC lists.
I don't think the project reached a state were it was ready to draw
on the full knowledge of a large number of users. Plus there was
another list used to draw some information from potential users.

I don't agree with this. Noone showed any interest in involving the permaculture community
in ongoing development. Project updates and the other user list were just not enough.
What I was referring to is direct input of information on plants, not the development process.
There was initially interest in developing use-cases and a more thorough understanding of how users would interact with the system, and what they would need. There were some starts of that on that in the wiki and a few other documents.

It seems there are people on this list with more experience doing that. It might be a good idea to draw on input from the lists via a survey form to understand what they might find useful or want in a project like this. This might tie in well with the permaculture digital library project (Heidi Pettitt). These could be developed into use cases/stories and guide development. This should preferably happen in the early stages before a specific route is decided.

That may be a point to consider for this project: finding a way to
maximize user input at an early stage of development.

You are probably aware of the large number of well informed, experienced,
knowledgeable practitioners, professionals, web developers and authors
in the pc list who would be interested in being involved in the development process,
read: ideas, information, support, promotion, encouraging the others to be involved
and above all be willing to use and submit input to the database when it is is online.
These are people "who know how to subscribe and unsubscribe" themselves. As for Paul's
comment about wanting "quality input" to make it worth the time spent developing the system
most of the aforementioned folks as well as many others we rarely or occasionally hear from
know as much or more that most of us do about permaculture and related subjects.
Relegating the whole body of pclist subscribers to being a bunch of ill-informed, inept peons
who might taint our database just won't fly (that was somewhat the attitude toward them
in the former pcplantdb project). I, who started that pc list in 1993, continue to be
amazed at the quality of the subscriber base and never cease to be amazed at ongoing dialog,
news, announcements and general input. These, and their friends, professional contacts,
students and colleagues and  are the people who will use the database and they
need to be involved from the start. Data input needs to come from somewhere and it surely won't
come just from us. The knowledgebase needs to be gleaned from those who use it and they need to
feel that it is something they can claim as their own. We provide the system, criteria for data
submission, quality control and mechanism for ongoing maintenance and they provide the information,
tailored to their own bioregional needs...
Agreed. But if we're developing a system that is more complex then a out of the box wiki/CMS system (like PIW/pcplantdb, which Chad wrote from scratch), it takes time to develop before user data can be entered into the system.

Cheers,
Bear