ohp - [OA-monographs] Exploring financial models

ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Open access monographs

  • From: David Ottina <davido AT openhumanitiespress.org>
  • To: "ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OA-monographs] Exploring financial models
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 09:11:05 +0200

I think OHP is on a track that will enable it to deliver interesting
content aggregation and service overlays. Personally, I suspect it may
be tricky balancing this model with open access in a way that generates
revenue. However, if I understand Brain and Marta correctly, we would
also need to achieve a certain scale of aggregation before we have any
chance in the consortia brokered market. Which brings back Paul's
original question of whether OHP should be looking to certify small OA
presses with the idea that we could come to scale more quickly. .

Given these difficulties, John's suggestion of a grant to explore
financial models strikes me as a good next step. I think the viability
argument will only be won through demonstrating potential for recurring
revenue, so perhaps this can be a focus. If we could get a few
influential libraries involved in defining promising service offerings I
think it would be more convincing. What's the best way to involve
libraries/consortia?

Simultaneously, we can start the wheels turning on the content
development portion. The platform development part should become clear
as we discover the requirements of these two ends, being careful to fit
it in with PKPs planning.

Best,
David