ohp - Re: [OA-monographs] A Library Perspective

ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Open access monographs

  • From: "Brunner, Marta" <martab AT library.ucla.edu>
  • To: <ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OA-monographs] A Library Perspective
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:26:46 -0700

Thanks, Brian, for jumping in with the library perspective.  The point of view you offer accords for the most part with mine here at UCLA.  Our budgets are taking a huge hit over the next few years as the California state budget continues to tank.  From the perspective of a bibliographer "on the ground," I would also note that our library is currently much more interested in *purchasing* monographic content than *subscribing* to series or online collections simply because we do not want to lose access to that content if our collections budgets for this content continue to dry up.  Also, we are hesitant to spend money on anything that we already have in another form these days, so for me personally, selecting in the areas of literature and now also history, I would favor new monographs over re-publications, though my position on that may change over time.  Regarding Brian's important point about the packaging/interfaces/functionality that commercial vendors supply, the added value that OHP could supply which few commercial vendors are supplying these days is the open access part: knowing that scholars on our campuses could use this content freely for educational/scholarly purposes without needing to seek permissions, pay royalties, etc.

A thought on funding:  At the risk of repeating what some of you have undoubtedly already thought, I wanted to say that this open access monograph project/initiative seems ideal for Mellon funding.  Having spoken with Don Waters in my former capacity as a Council on Library and Information Resources postdoctoral fellow, I understand Mellon looking for the following:
-impact: scholarly projects that are going to make a tangible difference in higher ed
-user-driven projects/initiatives: where institutions and scholars say what their needs are
-scope: institutional collaboration is favored
-seed money: the project must incorporate plan for viability/sustainability after the Mellon funds run out

Marta

****************
Marta L. Brunner, Ph.D.
Librarian for U.S./U.K. Literature and Comparative Literature,
   U.S./U.K. History and the History of Technology
11360D Charles E. Young Research Library
UCLA - Box 951575
Los Angeles, California 90095-1575
Tel: 310-825-1249
Fax: 310-825-3777