ohp - Re: [OA-monographs] Exploring financial models

ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Open access monographs

  • From: Sigi Jöttkandt <sigij AT openhumanitiespress.org>
  • To: davido AT openhumanitiespress.org
  • Cc: "ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ohp AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OA-monographs] Exploring financial models
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:40:16 +0200

David Ottina wrote:
What's the best way to involve
libraries/consortia?

Perhaps we could issue an invitation to participate through the ARL mailing list? I'm happy to work on it and we can also perhaps use it as the beginnings of a Mellon proposal.

There was an interesting report by Karla L. Hahn in the June bimonthly ARL report, from which I'm extracting below. Essentially her point was that libraries, if they are to become publishers, will need to find new resources from institutional leadership rather than shuffling existing budgets:

"The time is also ripe for library leadership and increasingly
for campus leadership to give thoughtful consideration
to the potential, the goals, the resource needs, and the
value of investing in and fostering this rapidly evolving
mode of university publishing. The question is no
longer whether libraries should offer publishing
services, but what kinds of services will libraries offer."

Research Library Publishing Services: New Options for University Publishing and New Roles for Libraries <http://www.arl.org/bm%7Edoc/arl-br-258-res-lib-pub.pdf>
http://www.arl.org/resources/pubs/br/br258.shtml

Best,
Sigi