ocba - [ocba] honey vs. syrup

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff.bollinger AT gmail.com>
  • To: OCBA <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] honey vs. syrup
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:01:03 -0500

I've been feeding our bees heavily over the last several weeks and its
getting expensive! 15lbs of white sugar is about 3 days of food for two
hives and they are really eating it up. However thinking about buying
this crappy Food Lion sugar (and wondering about its
processing/additives, etc.) I'm wondering if there's a way/method that
can be used to avoid feeding sugar syrup altogether for the hobbyist
beekeeper.

I was thinking maybe instead of collecting this Spring's honey harvest
for ourselves, we freeze the whole super (after removing bees of course)
and then save it for the next feeding season. I can't imagine it would
be much different than a hive-top feeder (which we're using now) with
all the associated advantages/disadvantages (like robbing,
cluster-bound, etc.)

I'm curious to hear opinions/predictions on if this approach would work
in removing the white sugar dependency from the bees' diet in the
summer, late fall, and winter. Other than not harvesting honey, what
other issues would you predict to occur trying this method?

Thanks!
Jeff