ocba - Re: [ocba] honey vs. syrup

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: annallys Goodwin-Landher <annallys AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <cpearce AT mycosynthetix.com>, <jeff.bollinger AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: OCBA <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] honey vs. syrup
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:36:32 -0500

Hi,

I choose to use organically grown and processed sugar because harmful chemicals such as herbicides (paraquat), anti caking agents, and flow agents are missing in this product.

  • check out Pesticide Action Networks list of pesticides used on sugar at http://www.pesticideinfo.org/DS.jsp?sk=25003#TopChems.  Please note that this is just in California and doesn's account for the chemicals that are used outside the country to raise sugar cane.
  • check out the list of chemicals in food.  For sugar anticaking and flow agents http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/food-additives - please note that some of the anticaking agents are also used as solvents.
  • Paraquat is the most used herbicides in the world.  Please check out what I would call propaganda on paraquat as necessary for sustainable farming:  http://paraquat.com/use
  • Paraquat is used in over 100 countries either to prepare the land for planting or for controlling weeds in more than 100 crops, including major food crops: corn, rice, soya, wheat, potatoes; major fruits: apples, oranges, bananas; beverages: coffee, tea, cocoa; and processed crops: cotton, oil palm, sugarcane, and rubber.
  • Check out paraquat at Wikipedia and read the suicides and parkinson's disease headings.  It's been banned in Europe since 2007, still in use in this country and around the world. Here's the link to PAN's information on paraquat http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC33357

Please remember that only 5% of all chemicals were tested for safety before being allowed on the market, in use for farming, processing, and as additives  in our food, in our pets food, or sprayed on plants and the ground

I recently learned from a Vegan that there is Vegan cane sugar on the market because bone meal is used as a filtering agent in conventional sugar.

My girls went through 60 and 70 pounds respectively of capped honey this winter and needed to start feeding them three weeks ago.

Regards,

Annallys Goodwin-Landher
919 933-9109
annallys AT hotmail.com