ocba - [ocba] Cary/Wake county beekeeping ordinances

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff.bollinger AT gmail.com>
  • To: OCBA <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Cary/Wake county beekeeping ordinances
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:16:40 -0500

FYI - Cary will be discussing a proposal to introduce new restrictions
on beekeeping in Cary during their February 23 Town Council meeting:

http://www.townofcary.org/Assets/Planning+Department/Staff+Reports/LDO+Amendments/12-LDO-01/12-LDO-01+Ordinance+Text.pdf

I thought this was interesting given last week's discussion.

Specifically the proposed ordinance changes say:

> (1) The minimum lot size for any parcel with beekeeping as an accessory use
> shall be
> 30,000 square feet.
> (2) The maximum allowable hive density shall be 1 hive per 10,000 square
> feet of lot area,
> not to exceed eight (8) hives on a lot.
> (3) No hive shall be kept within 25 feet of a property line.
> (4) A fly-way barrier at least six (6) feet in height, consisting of a
> solid wall, fence, or dense
> hedge, shall be located along all property lines within fifty (50) feet of
> any hive, such that
> the bees are forced to fly at an elevation of at least six (6) feet above
> ground level to
> cross over property lines in the vicinity of the hive(s).
> (5) A source of fresh water, located onsite, no farther than 50 feet from
> the hive(s,) shall be
> available at all times.
> (6) Bee hives shall be operated and maintained in compliance with all
> applicable state and
> federal laws and regulations.

> This past summer, several citizens expressed concern regarding situations
> where beekeeping was
> occurring on smaller lots in R-12 and R-8 zoning districts. Upon
> investigating, we determined that these
> situations were instances where beekeeping was being conducted as a hobby
> and not for the purpose of
> producing any agricultural products. Since the Ordinance currently only
> addresses beekeeping in the
> context of farming and the production of agricultural products, we believe
> that it would be helpful to revise
> the Ordinance to include beekeeping as a land use, and to clearly identify
> where and under what conditions
> this activity may occur.

> Recognizing that beekeeping provides a valuable service to the natural
> environment, but also
> acknowledging that beekeeping activity on smaller lots is more likely to
> create issues for neighbors, we
> have sought to provide reasonable opportunities for this activity to occur
> on lots that are 30,000 square feet
> or larger in size, while hopefully minimize the likelihood for adverse
> impacts on adjoining property through
> several use-specific standards

  • [ocba] Cary/Wake county beekeeping ordinances, Jeff Bollinger, 02/21/2012