nafex - Re: [nafex] This nafex list

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] This nafex list
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 08:45:30 -0800

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 6:41 AM Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
wrote:

> > On Nov 21, 2020, at 12:40 AM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> [ . . . .]
>
> > I am still here and will be for a long time. As long as I am around
> > this list will be also.
> >
> > I am mostly interested in vegetables but always want to learn more about
> > fruit growing.
> >

> Hey, this morning my email box is full of NAFEX! Great!
>
> -- do we want to expand the subject to vegetables and maybe herbs? That
> might keep the list livelier; and would probably bring more topics where I
> feel competent to weigh in; but I don't know whether others feel it would
> dilute it. I used to get several lists including a couple with vegetable
> discussions, but they died a while ago.

I would like to see this list include vegetables if 1) consensus of members
is to do that 2) members won't unsubscribe because of it
If it's worth discussing, let's do that.

My interest in vegetables includes 1) varieties, culinary qualities and
health aspects 2) soil quality, which would apply to fruit growing also
With the pandemic continuing, probably for two to three more years, good
discussion forums are really valuable as they keep communities of like
minded people together, are a lot of fun and offer lots of opportunities
for learning.
Allowing vegetable discussion might bring in more list members through
referrals from existing subscribers. Again, we would not want to drive off
the fruit enthusiasts.

What do members think about this change in list purpose?

LL

> I have developed a liking for certain types of message boards, but I don't
> do Facebook, and find Reddit nearly unusable.

Reddit is only useful for political action, Facebook for a few well behaved
special interest groups; other than that they are both a waste of time.
If you were to try a fruit group in FB it would be filled with chit chat,
politics, religion and arguments.
There are very interesting exceptions: several scything groups, some Euro,
two hedge laying groups in the UK, fermented foods, historical farming