nafex - [nafex] sweet 16 death

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] sweet 16 death
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 10:08:37 -0500

Your description suggests to me that the vascular sheaf was fatally
damaged, perhaps by the freeze event. Sometimes the death scene is
extended even beyond what is happening in our recent presidential election
as such damage often only interferes with the flow of carbohydrates to the
roots and roots then gradually starve.

However, even when the flow is disrupted both ways, there is often enough
stored energy in the shoots to send out leaves and start to ripen a crop.

Year before this I had an Elephant Heart plum die from apparent cambium
damage that leafed out and actually managed to barely ripen its last crop.
The tree was at least 15 years old and had only finally begun bearing heavy
crops for the past 6-7 years somewhat irregularly.

Dig around the base of the tree and make sure it wasn't girdled. Also rock
the trunk and make sure it is still well anchored. There are also voles.

  • [nafex] sweet 16 death, Alan Haigh, 11/21/2020