nafex - Re: [nafex] Plum Grafting / Budding

  • From: Jerry Lehman <jwlehmantree@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Plum Grafting / Budding
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 23:03:53 -0400

On 3/22/2016 10:34 AM, Peter Chrisbacher wrote:
Does anyone have any*tricks* for successfully grafting Plum on an
established seedling? Whip? Splice? Tight or loose binding? I plan to bud
as well as a safety net.
Pete,

My suggestion is wait until active growth has begun and the bark is in the slip. I would use a splice, whip and tongue or machine graft. Wrap it tight and cover it with Parafilm. I would also place foil on the south leaving it open to the north to shad it from the sun to keep it cool. It works I've grafted several plums.

Jerry