nafex - Re: [nafex] Prunus serotina/black cherry for Lori

  • From: <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Prunus serotina/black cherry for Lori
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 07:44:27 -0400

I've heard of these cherries being used for jam and jelly, and I suspect they would be good for any use where the slight astringency is not objectionable. They used to be known here as "rum cherries" because the early settlers used them to flavour their cheap rum. They would fill a jar or crock part full of cherries, top it off with rum, and leave it as long as their willpower held out, up to maybe a couple of years. I deduce they would be good for cordials.

I don't know whether they have the reported health benefits of cultivated cherries, but I would expect so.

Probably a Victorio strainer or equivalent would be useful for extracting the pulp.

I've read that this species is something of a weed in Central Park in New York - on clay soil. I read that they are a favoured tree of sapsuckers, and that hummingbirds and orioles raid the holes/seeps. The wood is apparently much liked for veneer, and may be more valuable than black walnut.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada