nafex - [nafex] Lori, Wild Black Cherry

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Lori, Wild Black Cherry
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 07:20:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Lori,

That certainly looks like Prunus serotina, Wild Black Cherry. They are all
over Indiana. The book, "101 Trees of Indiana" by Marion T. Jackson lists
it as slightly bitter but eatable. I've tasted many and that description is
accurate. Due to the large seed (percentage of flesh to seed) many must be
gathered to use them. I've been told they make good wine, but am not a wine
maker.

The leaves are very toxic to live stock and am told can kill them
especially if foliage is in short supply when a tree falls and cattle over
feed on
them. Go ahead make some jam or wine and please report back.

Jerry

PS. ibiblio has cut me off more than once after I sent attached files. If
you find you send messages and they don't come back nor are passed through
contact the list manager to get turned back on. You will still be able to
receive just can't send messages through. Send a test message and see if it
comes through. Good luck!

In a message dated 8/17/2014 10:50:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,