nafex - Re: [nafex] Hawthorns - best varieties

  • From: Jeffrey Boulier <boulierinasia@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Hawthorns - best varieties
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:16:23 -0800 (PST)

I'm very interested in hawthorns, but my knowledge is mostly theory -- I only
have a couple at the moment and they are all still in pots.

There are a few species of hawthorn that are commercially grown for their
fruit.

Crataegus azarolus (Azarole)
Crataegus pinnatifida (Chinese Hawthorn/Shan Zha)
Crataegus mexicana (Mexican Hawthorn/Tejocote)
Crategus opaca, Crataegus aestivalus, and maybe Crataegus rufula (Mayhaw)

I think there's also a southern Chinese species whose name escapes me, but is
mentioned in Phipps'  "Hawthorns and Medlars" book.

Additionally, some taxonomists are now lumping Mespilus germanica (Medlar)
into Crataegus.

I would expect that of the above, only the American-origin mayhaws and
tejocote have any significant resistance to fireblight.

Azarole is listed by OGW and pfaf as zone 6, but to be honest even that seems
marginal to me; it's grown only in southern Europe.