nafex - [nafex] Hawthorns - best varieties

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Hawthorns - best varieties
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:29:13 -0500 (EST)

I'm interested in growing excellent types of hawthorns.
According to Ken Fern (Plants for a Future), a European species: Crataegus
schraderana is exceptionally delicious. I don't know of a source for it in
the US. Any ideas?
Natives: I have a seed-propgated 'Homestead' (C. x arnoldiana). C.
arnoldiana (including C. mollisa and C. submollis) are considered some of the
best; perhaps for size, if not that and flavor. C. flava is supposed to be
good, along with C. succulenta.
I'm getting a native Crataegus from NY - from Schlabach's Nursery known as
'Heart's Delight', which is supposedly very good.
Steve NJ