nafex - Re: [nafex] Kieffer Pear

  • From: "Scott Weber and Muffy Barrett" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Kieffer Pear
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 02:49:09 GMT

Michelle,
Here's my two cents worth. My keiffer I wouldn't even describe as a so-so
eating pear. I've tried letting it ripen on the tree or off; didn't like it
either way . Some friends wanted some pears for baking last year and I'd
already sold all the "good" ones. With apologies I handed them some
keiffers. They both reported back that they were awesome in whatever it was
that each made. Eaten straight I'd describe them as flavorless, so maybe
in cooking you add flavor with the sugar and spices.
I grew up on canned keiffers, quartered, peeled, and put up in syrup
(light?). They were good. They seem to be able to hang on to their firmness
in the jar.
I haven't tried drying them yet. That might have happened this year, but the
frost destroyed almost all my pear fruit.
Good luck with the harvest.
Muffy Barrett
in severely dry Southern WI