nafex - [nafex] where to plant elderberries?

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] where to plant elderberries?
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 08:57:18 -0700 (PDT)

I ordered 3 elderberries from here:
http://www.polkaraspberry.com/elderberries.htm
(new varieties, healthy plants, good price) and I'm wondering where to put
them. My choices are as a foundation planting by the east side of the house,
(although my husband says bushes next to a house make house maintenance
difficult) or on the west side of our neighbor's buckthorn woods, (which is
pretty wet in spring, and currently used as a deer highway.) Any opinions?
How well do elderberries deal with wet soil? If we do put them by the house,
how far should they be?

Melissa