nafex - [nafex] where to plant elderberries?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] where to plant elderberries?
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 11:37:56 -0500

Melissa,
My elderberries are planted in several spots and they do best in semi-moist soil with filtered sunlight. Those that are planted nearby in full shade do bear almost as well as the previously mentioned. I also have some in full sun and others in half day sun, both in drier soil and both of these perform poorly. Deer eat the leaves in the Fall after all of the grasses have turned brown.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472