nafex - Re: [nafex] Gummosis?

  • From: Bob Bors <bob.bors@usask.ca>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Gummosis?
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 23:22:00 -0600

There are 3 common causes that I know of:

Peach borers will attack prunus species. They lay their eggs which hatch and
eat into the wood. But maybe this is too early in the year for that? Maybe
if there was a borer last season in that spot it would have sap flowing out
now? If you cut off the branch slice it open and look for a worm hole.
A bacterial disease can cause it. Needs an injury to get inside so if
pruning it out disinfect pruners with every cut.
Winter or other physical damage that has caused some cracking of the bark.
Somewhat common on varieties that aren't cold hardy enough.

We see it sporadically in our cherries at the university but at a low level,
maybe less than 2%. For us it hasn't ever taken over so we don't do much
about it. A visiting entomologist found a peach borer after trying several
bushes but it wasn't present in other bushes. For us the gummosis is
commonly close to the ground. Many trees recover from it but some seem to
linger with poor health. I assume the later were those seedlings that
weren't hardy enough anyway.

Bob Bors
U of Sask.