nafex - Re: [nafex] pruning Toka plum

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] pruning Toka plum
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:21:43 -0400

Yeah, Toka will do that. One thing about Toka (someone please confirm that mine isn't the only one that does this), the fruits tend to fall when they are ripe AND the fruit is so firm that falling doesn't generally bruise it. It is edible at that firm crunchy stage. My point is, maybe keeping it short and manageable isn't as important as you think.
For me, LaCrescent is more vigorous than any other plum that I grow. It gets taller than Toka. However, I guess I've never had a whole Toka tree. I've only grafted it onto other plums. Anyway, LaCrescent makes a big tree but it has never made more than a little basket of plums in any year. That could be due to my location.

Steve in the Adirondacks