nafex - [nafex] pruning Toka plum

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] pruning Toka plum
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:20:02 -0700 (PDT)

My 'LaCrescent' plum is shaping itself into a beautiful, small, open-center
tree, but my 'Toka' plum is growing very large and imitating a bradford pear,
with oodles of vertical branches. Wondering what to do about it, it occurred
to me that I could cut out the central leader, and then most of what was left
would be the approximate size and shape of my 'LaCrescent', with an open
center. Would that be a good idea? This would be very major surgery. They're
only a few years old, and although they flowered last year, haven't fruited
yet.

Melissa
central NY, used to be zone 5, now zone 6 by the new map.