nafex - [nafex] Fruit and anticoagulant therapy - potentiation /OT

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • Subject: [nafex] Fruit and anticoagulant therapy - potentiation /OT
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 10:03:47 -0500

Hi folks,

As subscribers to this list are (in general) avid consumers of fruit and some of us may be taking anticoagulant drugs such as warfarin (Coumadin), I noticed these reports and wanted to share the information. I am aware of the potential anticoagulant enhancing effects of leafy greens. In fact, that effect is commonly included in patient teaching during the initiation of Coumadin therapy; I was not previously aware of any association with fruit.

A report on the effects of goji berry enhancing the anticoagulant properties of medication.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22392549

A report on the effects of cranberry enhancing the effect of anticoagulant medication.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22231999

These are not newly reported associations, but I have never heard a health
care provider warn against potential interactions between fruit and warfarin.
So if you are a consumer of these fruits and are a patient having problems
with the effects of your oral anticoagulants, this potential interaction may
be something to discuss with your health care provider.

Betsy Hilborn

  • [nafex] Fruit and anticoagulant therapy - potentiation /OT, Elizabeth Hilborn, 03/10/2012