nafex - Re: [nafex] Answering hardy kiwi question

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Answering hardy kiwi question
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 07:26:37 -0400

Dan, I think any woody plant will size up very differently based on
just a few factors ;) such as: texture of soil, water availability,
amount of light, length of day, length of growing season, heat, cold,
wind, nutrients in soil, competition from other plants, mulch
thickness, etc.

I also think that *vines* are especially variable, becuase they tend
to grow quickly and much longer per year than a tree. I think a
grapevine is probably capable of growing 30 feet in a year, if given
the right conditions. (a Vanessa vine that I planted last spring at my
sister's house in exceptional soil put out six 12-15 foot vines the
FIRST season it was in the ground.) And a grape that doesn't like
where it's at might only grow a couple feet a year. I can't think of a
tree that is that variable.

-matt
z5 se MI