nafex - Re: [nafex] Bramley and Cox's Orange Pippin Apples in the North

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Bramley and Cox's Orange Pippin Apples in the North
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 20:30:52 -0500

Le 14:40 12.02.28, vous avez écrit:
Or how about Karin Schneider (a sport of Ingrid Marie) or Ingrid Marie itself. These Cox
progeny come from Denmark, ripen several weeks earlier than Cox itself, and are hardy in
the harsh climate of Scandinavia. (But I don't know what climate zone Denmark is in...)

David, I am not sure Denmark has a really harsh climate... Googling denmark climate, I fell on a table with avg January low Temp as 30F, and 28F in February... Not really harsh compared to here. Seems to be more like England. I guess the part of Scandinavia that compares more to our climate would be the northern parts of Finland, Norvegia and Sweden.

As of Ingrid Marie and Karin Schneider, I don't know of any source in Canada. Fred Janson used to have them but they are probably lost now. Ingrid Marie is also listed in the book "Our apples" by Khanizadeh & Cousineau, but they only quote ripening dates in Summerland BC - so it might not have been grown in Frelighsburg. Nothing is said about hardiness. Do you grow them yourself?

Claude