nafex - [nafex] Bramley and Cox's Orange Pippin Apples in the North

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Bramley and Cox's Orange Pippin Apples in the North
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 07:59:27 -0500

Hello,

I was reviewing some spring catalogs and came across a Canadian nursery in New Brunswick selling Bramley and Cox's Orange Pippin (among many other varieties). They're grafted on Russian "Beautiful-Arcade" rootstock. Technically the nursery is in the same zone as I am (Ag Can 4b). I contacted the owner and he told me they've been growing them sucessfully there for 30 years.

I would absolutely love to have either of these apples. However, I am still wary about these types being hardy here because previouly I had been advised that they would not survive. I have already lost a Golden Russet here, although it was an unusual winter/ spring. I have Priscilla and Reine de Reinette growing at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC