nafex - Re: [nafex] sour-cherry varieties

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] sour-cherry varieties
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:29:38 -0800

Montmorecy is a wonderful tree but on decent soil it can get large. Nice
sized delicious fruit.

I grow 7 Northstars, though I am cutting two down. They often get larger
then expected, I was trying to keep mine at 8 and gave up and bought new ones
to plant further away from the house.
I have had the first 2 Northstars since 1995 0r 1996 and they have never had
disease issues other than a little brown rot now and gin but nothing like my
Lapins which almost always gets taken out by brown rot. NorthStar has
smaller fruit than Montmorency, however if you let them hang on the tree they
become less tarts time goes on. I find them very delicious and spend hours
pitting) them by hand and then dehydrating them. And I use the juice (there
is lot of it) for syrups and milkshakes.

Northstar makes lovely landscape type tree and I have 5 in my front yard -
Montmorency, IMO does not make nearly as nice of a landscape tree.

the fluffy one

Re:

Message: 1