nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fall/winter fruit for cool greenhouse?

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fall/winter fruit for cool greenhouse?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 13:54:25 -0800

I like the fruit on the lemon guava better (very similar to the strawberry
guava) --sweeter, despite the name and slightly larger fruit. For me, they
are outside plants and if they ripen in October, they have a great flavor,
if not until mid November or later, they are tart(this year with cold late
spring). You may have some tartness if the temperature goes down in the
greenhouse.

My pineapple guavas, also outside, ripen anytime between October and
January, depending upon the weather and I get loads of them for at least a
month-- so many that people see me coming and run, just like the zucchini
deliverers on the porch in the summer at midnight.-- they will take cooler
temps than the strawberry/lemon guava do.

And the citrus --Clementine does very well and can handle the cooler temps
and foggier weather here in the winter--we get fruit from Jan to Mar/May and
some hang on for months without losing flavor. They may perform this way in
the greenhouse but I do not know. There was an indoor citrus society for a
while that did a lot of experimenting. http://www.crfg.org/fg/icrfsn.html

Idell
Zone 9 b San Francisco Bay area, on the sunny side