nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fall/winter fruit for cool greenhouse?

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fall/winter fruit for cool greenhouse?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 20:36:38 -0800 (PST)

I recall reading that one of the Eleagnus sets fruit in the fall for
overwintering but don't recall which variety or how big it gets. Judging
from the normal characteristics of the genus, its probably bigger than what
you are looking for, but something that might be worthwhile looking into.
Maybe one of the "silverberries", not autumn olive, russian olive or gumi.

Might also want to try pepino melon. It needs a longer growing period to
ripen its melon like fruit than is available in zone 5, so growing in a
greenhouse that gives you an extra couple of months would pay off. Nice
smell, mild taste. Wouldn't be a winter-long producer, however.

Another possibility is Oca, Oxalis tuberosa. Not a fruit, but a root
vegetable that also needs a cool, extended growing season to set its tubers.
It only gets about 2' high. Plant is said to be edible and has a lemony
flavor but is high in oxalic acid, so consumption must be limited. Tuber,
however, apparently does not have that problem and is very good roasted. Had
I a greenhouse, I would be growing it. Tried for several years to produce a
decent crop growing outside in zone 5, but never had good productivity due to
limited season length.

Just some ideas for you to research.

John