nafex - Re: [NAFEX] elderberries stem toxicity

  • From: "Michele Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
  • To: <orders@cuttsreviews.com>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] elderberries stem toxicity
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 16:25:20 -0400

Jay,
My understanding is that Elderberries have several cyanogenic compounds in
them that are harmful to varying degrees until subjected to heat, i.e.,
cooked. (The leaves can also cause a contact dermatitis in some people,
although I don't know which compounds are responsible). These same compounds
are a defense against herbivory. The material I read says that deer are
negatively affected by these compounds which are found in elderberry bark,
too.

Those of you who grow elderberries..... do they suffer from deer browse?

Michele in SW Ohio