nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Question

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Question
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 19:52:56 -0400

Dear all, came back from vacation to this very interesting conversation about the e-mail list and the NAFEX forum.

I happen to be one of those Canadians who uses the list but is not a NAFEX member. I joined the list actually to contact someone after having been referred from another fruit growers forum. I happily abandoned that forum pretty much for this list, firstly because of the ease of the"PUSH" system of e-mail, but mainly because of the quality of the discussions and knowledge of the subscribers.

Three years later I have learned an incredible amount from this list about all sorts of subjects that I would possibly have never imagined to research on a forum (and I do a LOT of internet research).

I too have very little income and am only an amateur backyard grower. Therefore, although toying with the idea, I have not subscribed to NAFEX, believing that most members, and POMONA contributers for example, are professional cultivators who make their living or part of it through agriculture.

As a non-member, I realise wholeheartedly that my opinion does not count in this debate. But I would say that I would be sad to see the great resource that is this list disappear.

Kudos to everyone, I say, who takes their time to share any knowledge they have about fruit growing with the rest of us. I thank you.

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC