nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 00:53:09 +0000

So far I've managed both, here in E. WA, with the majority of plantings in
late winter/early spring with dormant stock. Here the ground is wettest (very
sandy soil) at the end of winter and spring puts little strain on things,
with regular showers through the first half of June. They have a chance to
establish well before the 60 day drought we often get in summer. Planting in
September is dicy due to dry conditions, but Halloween to Thanksgiving works
fine.
That said, I've had difficulty on occasion with the soil not rich enough
for some things. The ducks continue to improve the yard and the success rate
rises.

Dave Liezen