nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:48:40 -0400

Here in eastern Ma, zone 6, some plants do better with spring planting and
others with fall planting. I like to plant very cold hardy stuff like
currants in the fall, for instance. But if I don't know anything about
planting a particular plant, my preference is to obtain a dormant plant in
late winter and plant it as soon as I can dig holes in the spring.

If I buy non-dormant stuff, my preference is to plant in early September or
April.