nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?

  • From: loneroc <loneroc1@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 06:11:03 -0500

In the north spring is the best time, so the roots have the summer to
establish themselves before the harshest season, winter. I hear from
southerners that fall is best. The trees take advantage of the mild winter
to establish prior to the torrid summers. I suspect that in the northwest
that fall would be preferable, since summers are generally rainless. I never
transplant anything after the early spring unless absolutely necessary.

Steve Herje SW Wisconsin Usda zone 3/4

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Android phone