nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:53:06 -0500

I tend to do way more planting in the fall, & have had very good luck
with it. Part of the equation is I grow out a lot of seedling stock &
it's always helpful to get it in the ground the end of the first year
because it's less potted things I have to store somewhere. The only
thing I've really had an issue with here is peaches seem to be really
slow to harden off in the fall of the first year, perhaps because they
put on such vigorous growth & I get a lot of winter die back. Also I
just like planting in the fall because everything is slowing down
rather than speeding up & I can take my time a little bit more to get
things properly planted & mulched.

~mIEKAL