nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Forum and Pomona

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd@dataone.in>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Forum and Pomona
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 19:35:40 +0530

Dear all,

I have been a member of Nafex for over twenty years but had now to discontinue it much against my wishes as I found the annual dues TOO HIGH by Indian standards due to high cost of US dollar in India. I once also attended a NAFEX Annual Meeting at Columbia.

I have always been pointing out that the organization may not be able to sustain. I had suggested in the meeting of Executive Board (Dr. Ethan Natelsan was chairman) that let Pomona be printed out of USA as the printing cost in the US were very high. I had made some enquiries about it after I had reached home and had found that the cost here could be one fourth. I had also volunteered to get the printed done here in a press in my neighborhood. But the ideas was not liked. Some members had rather frowned upon the suggestion.

I think the outlook of members is not liberal. This is the age of globalization. To introduce new fruit varieties, NAFEX should be "North American" only by name but its approach should be global. So it should try to enroll members from other countries. This has not happened. Rather American membership has come down. I have been observing it and feel very sorry for the plight of this organization.

There is still time. Let the organizers adopt a "LIBERAL" outlook and expand the organization globally.

Though I am no more a member now, but still I shall try to do my best to help NAFEX in standing up once again.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi HP 175001, INDIA
01905-222810; 094181 81323