nafex - Re: [NAFEX] kiwi flower report.

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] kiwi flower report.
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:54:21 -0400

mIEKAL, I believe the male is Pasha and the female September Sun. I tasted the fruit last year. I didn't have that many but they were very good. The problem for me was picking them at the right moment. When they were just right they were absolutely delicious.They seemed to turn over ripe inside quite quickly so I left some others on the vine. They ripened very late in the season for me( September sun is right!) and I made the mistake of not harvesting them all. We had a light frost at the beginning of October and that was the end of that!

I don't know if you'll have that problem but I'll be sure not to take any chances this year!

What varieties do you have? There's not that much choice in kolomitka available up here. Most places try to sell you A. Issai but I was worried about its hardiness up here. The kolomitkas don't seem to have any trouble so far.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll like the flavour. Let me know how you find the differences in taste (if discernible). I am looking to get more females I just have to work out a space issue (especially with the growth I have this year!).

Caren.