nafex - Re: [NAFEX] kiwi flower report.

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] kiwi flower report.
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:49:44 -0400

I too have been reading this thread with much interest. I have a male and female kolomikta located right next to each other which had a heavy flower set last week (no chance of frost damage there!). Since then the weather has been horrible (wind and rain) so haven't been out much to study pollinator activity, although I have to agree that the bees seem to be much more interested in the blueberries and other blooms right now. However, I really feel that the overall number of pollinators in my garden are down this year (not for lack of choice of bloom!). I even resorted to a bit of hand pollination for my pears, peaches and apples (I don't have that many trees), as I have some practice with my indoor lime tree. It was unusually cold when they were blooming.

But for the kiwi I am just going to see what happens. It would be nice to have a good fruit set this year. My real problem with it at the moment is that it is growing like crazy. It's on a trellis near some steps to the house and you feel like it's about to attack you every time you walk past. Can I safely prune it at this point?

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC