nafex - [NAFEX] kiwi flower report.

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex list <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] kiwi flower report.
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 06:54:06 -0400

So, I've been reading the kiwi pollination thread with much interest,
because 3 out of my 6 argutas are covered with flowers this spring. They
were planted in 2008. 2 of the flowering plants are ones I grew from seed. I
was eagerly awaiting their opening, to see what sex they would be! Luckily,
it's very obvious. One male, one female, no mystery or extra parts. Lucky
me. The female's ovaries are already quite swollen, and it looks like the
fruit set is very good. The other blooming plant is an Anna. It appears to
have both male and female parts, and bloomed a little later than the
seedlings. I didn't think Anna was self-fertile, so I'm guessing the male
parts are duds. Anyone know? The flowers are quite pretty, and smell nice. I
wasn't expecting that, since someone once told me that hardy kiwi flowers
aren't very showy. Given, they are small compared to a hydrangea, but
they're bigger than a lot of flowering plants.

-matt
z5 se MI