nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Clove currant Ribes aureum

  • From: "Ginda Fisher" <list@ginda.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Clove currant Ribes aureum
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:28:25 -0400

On Jun 6, 2011 2:12 PM, Richard Moyer &lt;ramoyer@gmail.com&gt; wrote:
And from the Corvallis NCGR: the farm crew threatened new hires if

they do something boneheaded, the punishment would be eating black

currants raw. This threat was purported to keep them in line.

Richard Moyer

SW VA Mulberries ripe

______

That threat was presumably to eat European black currants. While I don't wolf
down that Crandalls, or even graze on them while I do yardwork as I do with
red currants, they aren't unpleasant to eat. I find them dry and seedy and
perhaps a little too strong. Eating them raw would not be a punishment. (I
continue to grow them for the beautiful and fragrant blossoms.)

European black currants are actively nasty to eat raw, but delicious cooked.

Ginda,
Eastern MA, zone 6