nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Clove currant ribes aureum

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Clove currant ribes aureum
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 06:27:25 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know what conditions it likes, but I'm apparently not providing them.
I planted a 'Crandall' at the same time as a black currant right next to it,
and the black currant is about 4 times as high and wide, and covered with
fruit. The 'Crandall' is barely hanging on. Maybe it doesn't like clay soil
or something? Road salt? However, it had some beautiful flowers this year,
and the fragrance was wonderful. I don't know if I should let it mature its
few fruit or cut them off the poor little thing in the hopes that it grows
bigger.

Melissa
zone 5, central NY