nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Clove currant ribes aureum

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Clove currant ribes aureum
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 17:28:24 -0400

I have some Crandall Currants in eastern Mass, zone 6.

I love them in the spring. From a distance they look like forsythia (except
they have some leaves when they bloom) and they smell wonderful. If it is
warm enough to leave the windows open I can smell them all through the house.

Mine became more productive after they were in the ground for a few years,
which coincidentally is when I bought a few new ones from a different source.
The new ones were much more mature than the first set had been, and both
fruited heavily. So, it might be maturity, and it might be cross
pollination, I couldn't say. But my plants are completely indistinguishable,
leafing out at exactly the same time, blossoming at exactly the same time,
etc., so I think they may all be the same cultivar, despite coming from
different sources.

(My red currants look like they are different cultivars. So do my apples,
and pretty much everything else I grow.)

Mine are very productive most years. I don't do that much with the fruit, so
I manage them mostly as an ornamental. The fruit tastes a little strong, and
is dry. The best use I've found for it is to freeze a few cups and wait for
apple season, and then make an apple/currant pie, which is quite tasty.

They are very easy to propagate. They tip-root freely (except that I don't
let them) and send up shoots several feet around the parent plant every year.
The canes get a few feet long. The young canes are fairly erect, and they
droop in later years. Mine are at the top of a small slope, and I tie them
up to keep them from covering the whole slope. If you stake them you can
probably grow them in a space ~3'x3'. but they'd prefer more space.

They do most of their growing in the spring, and by late summer they look
sort of ratty and start losing leaves. Since they come back like gangbusters
in the spring, I don't worry about it. It's possible that if I irrigated them
they would look nice longer into the year.

Ginda