nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Interspecific graft-compatibility: apricot x peach x plum?

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Interspecific graft-compatibility: apricot x peach x plum?
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 23:04:08 -0400

According to what I've read, no, they are not synonyms. Apparently P. sibirica (or P. armeniaca var. sibirica) is not of much use for fruit, but may have been used a little in breeding with what success I don't know.

Apparently Oikos Tree Crops sells Prunus sibirica in the U.S. Their website says it is the earliest of apricots to bloom which makes me wonder about the claims it is a better rootstock than P. mandshurica.

According to
<http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forum/messages/64189/1250743.html>
there is a tree or trees of P. sibirica onthe grounds of Olds College, Olds, Alberta. I wouldn't be surprised if the Unversity of Saskatchewan at Saskatoon has it also.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada