nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Interspecific graft-compatibility: apricot x peach x plum?

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Interspecific graft-compatibility: apricot x peach x plum?
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 11:07:16 -0400

On May 19, 2011, at 1:08 AM, Steven Covacci wrote:

> Group:
>
> 1 Will peach graft to apricot?

> 2. Will peach graft to European plum (P. domestica)?
> 3. Will Apricot graft to European plum?

None of these three are known to work reliably. You could probably get some
of these combinations via an interstem of something highly compatible like
Marianna. This spring I grafted asian pears onto quince with a
quince-compatible interstem and found it only added about a minute to the
time it took to do a graft (thanks for the idea Lucky).

> 4. Also, I know that the Asian plums will graft (and hybridize with) to the
> American plum. Will P. domestica (European plum) graft to the same
> dwarfing root-stocks that Asian plums are grafted upon, such as P.
> americana?

Euro on American has been used a lot, but in rare cases it shows delayed
incompatibility. Myroloban will work for both asian and euro as will
Marianna.

Scott