nafex - [NAFEX] Interspecific graft-compatibility: apricot x peach x plum?

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Interspecific graft-compatibility: apricot x peach x plum?
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 01:08:08 -0400 (EDT)

Group:

1 Will peach graft to apricot?
2. Will peach graft to European plum (P. domestica)?

3. Will Apricot graft to European plum?

4. Also, I know that the Asian plums will graft (and hybridize with) to the
American plum. Will P. domestica (European plum) graft to the same dwarfing
root-stocks that Asian plums are grafted upon, such as P. americana?

I noticed some nurseries indicate: all plums grafted upon P. americana
seedlings, and that their lists of plums include both Asian plums (which of
course are completely interspecifically compatible with P. americana due to
like chromosomal count) and European plums, which do not have matching
corresponding chromosomal counts w/P. americana/P. salicina.

Thanks,
Steve; NJ 6b/7a