nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Interspecific graft-compatibility: apricot x peach x plum?

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Interspecific graft-compatibility: apricot x peach x plum?
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 14:12:37 -0400

Generally, peach and apricot are not compatible with European plum, however:

In Britain, Brompton, St. Julien A and Pershore Yellow Egg have long been considered to make satisfactory rootstocks for peach and apricot.

In trials at Vineland, Ontario, the Vineland strain of German Prune was found to make a compatible interstem for grafting apricot on Myrobalan, favoured for plums in the Niagara Peninsula due to its ability to size a crop in droughty summers.

Different apricot cultivars have different degrees of compatibility directly on Myrobalan. For example Harcot is not compatible (personal experience) and Harlayne is considered satisfactory (or was some years ago when I last heard).

Peach makes a compatible stock for most apricots but Reliable and apricots with Reliable in their breeding are not compatible with peach.

The impression I have from reading is that some strains of Prunus americana make compatible rootstocks for certain other species and most do not. Nurseries vary in the degree to which their behaviour is respectful of the interests of their customers. Some take the attitude "if you will buy it, we will sell it."

What I've read makes me nervous about Manchurian apricot as a rootstock due to possible dormancy problems. Siberian apricot (Prunus sibirica under some classifications) is reputed not to cause dormancy problems but is very hard to get (old information at second hand).

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada