nafex - Re: [NAFEX] strawberries

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] strawberries
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 19:05:40 -0400

On May 20, 2011, at 5:34 PM, Road's End Farm wrote:

> On May 20, 2011, at 5:17 PM, Bob Hartman wrote:
>
>> Sticking your nose on or near fruit doesn't sound good to me. At
>> fruit
>> shows some people want to pick up the fruit to smell it. We have to
>> put out
>> signs for people not to pick up the fruit because we are going to have
>> people tasting the fruit and having someone's nose next to a fruit
>> is not
>> appetizing.
>>
>> Bob
>
> When I do this in groceries, I'm not sticking my nose on the fruit.
> And I'm not blowing on it, or exhaling towards it. I'm inhaling in its
> general vicinity. I suspect Ginda, who's the one who originally posted
> about choosing strawberries by scent, does the same thing.

Yes, of course. I sniff, I don't blow. And of course I don't touch my nose
to the produce.

It makes a huge difference in the quality of strawberries, peaches, and
several other fruits that I buy. You really can't tell by looking whether a
peach will taste like a peach or like slightly sweet cotton, but you can tell
that with your nose.

People handle the produce all the time at my local markets. I wash and/or
peel everything I bring home.

Ginda